In the state of Missouri a Contractor License is required for any person that wants to engage in or working at the business of plumbing in cities or towns of fifteen thousand (15.000) or more inhabitants in this the State of Missouri. Contractor Licensing is regulated at the City / County level and not at the State level. Please contact the City or County that you are intending on performing your work in.
Requirements for a Plumbing License in Missouri
Each city in the State of Missouri with a population of 15.000 or more shall prescribe rules and regulations for the material, construction and inspection of all plumbing and sewerage placed in, or in connection with, any building in each city, and the board of health or proper authorities shall further provide that no plumbing work shall be done without a permit being issued therefor upon such terms and conditions as said city shall prescribe.
There is no statewide body in the state of Missouri that issues licensing for plumbers.
For a plumbing apprenticeship you can apply by completing the application form or applying in person at the union office. All candidates must be at least eighteen years old an in possession of a high school diploma. Additional requirements may vary by City / County.
Journeyman Plumber License Requirements
- An applicant for a license as a journeyman plumber shall be at least twenty-one years of age.
- Applicants shall have had at least five years' experience as an apprentice under the direction and supervision of a licensed master plumber.
- The applicant shall have a practical knowledge of plumbing and shall be skilled in the art of installing plumbing and drainage facilities.
- Applicants shall have knowledge of the accepted standards and principles of plumbing and sewer or drainage facilities for the protection of the public health.
Master Plumber License Requirements
- Applicants for a master plumber's license shall be at least twenty-five years of age.
- Applicants shall have had three years or more experience as a licensed journeyman plumber.
- The applicant shall possess the ability to direct other persons in the installation of plumbing and drainage.
- The applicant shall be skilled in planning, designing and installing plumbing and drainage facilities.
- Applicants must have a thorough knowledge of the accepted standards, principles and art of plumbing for the protection of the public health.
Apply for a Plumbing License in MO
All persons who are required to take the contractors exams to procure a certificate shall apply to the board of the city where they reside or to the board nearest their place of residence.
An applicant for a master plumber's license shall deposit with the application a fee in the sum of $10.00; and an applicant for a journeyman plumber's license shall deposit with the application a fee in the sum of $2.00. The term of all licenses shall be one year and such license may be renewed by application therefor to the board of plumbing and sewer inspection upon the payment of the license fee herein provided.
Plumbing Schools Available in Missouri
There are plenty of plumbing schools that offer a great plumbing education in Missouri. Some colleges provide only online classes while others teach on campus.
Linn State Technical College
1 Technology Drive
Linn, MO 65051
Phone : (573) 897-5131
Plumbers Local 8
5950 Manchester Trafficway
Kansas City, MO 64130
Phone : (816) 363-8888
Pipefitters Training Center
9876 Hickman Mills Dr,
Kansas City, MO 64137
Phone : (816) 761-8800
UA Local 562 Plumbers & Pipefitters Training Center
1084 Kenran Industrial Dr,
St. Louis, MO 63137
Phone : (314) 388-0722
State Licensing and Exam Requirements
Licensing and plumbing certification requirements for plumbers are usually determined at the state level and tend to vary slightly from state to state. Often, the job of enforcing and regulating these requirements falls to individual municipalities. To check the requirements for a plumbing license in a particular state select your location and find out How to get a plumbing license in your area..
If you need more informations on passing the journeyman plumbing exams then perhaps you might want to read: How To Do The Plumber Journeyman Exam to help you get started as an apprentice plumber or journeyman plumber.
- Professional Registration & Licensing (MO.gov)
- Contractor Licensing (KCMO.gov)
- St. Louis County procedure for Plumbing Permits (stlouiscountymo.gov)