Inside the State of Minnesota a Plumbers license is required before you can work as a Journeyman or Master plumber. The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry licenses the plumber to verify that they have the necessary training and knowledge to work safe and legally.
Requirements for the Minnesota Plumbing Exam
The Examinations for minnesota plumbing licensure are only conducted twice a year:
(Every March and September).
- Applications for the March exam will be accepted after Jan. 1 but in no case later than Feb. 15.
- Applications for the September exam will be accepted after July 1 but in no case later than Aug. 15.
Journeyman Plumber Exam
In order to acquire a journeyman plumbing license in the State of Minnesota, an already registered apprentice plumber will first have meet the following requirements that are set by the The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry for taking the Journeyman Plumber Exam:
- Applicants must hold a current apprentice plumber registration card.
- Applicants must hold a current Minnesota restricted journeyman plumber license or restricted master plumber license that has been held for a minimum of 2 years.
- Documented 7000 hours of practical experience over the last four years. One year practical plumbing experience consists of at least 1750 hours.
- Practical plumbing experience for an apprentice must include at least the following number of hours in the plumbing aspects specified:
a. Water distribution system installation , 2,000 hours.
b. Drain, waste, and vent system installation, 2000 hours and
c. Fixture installation, 1,000 hours.
If you are currently licensed as a Journeyman Plumber in another state:
- The licensing jurisdiction must require a minimum of four years of practical plumbing experience and examination.
- A copy of the current license, and a copy of that state’s licensing laws for plumbers must be submitted with the application.
Master Plumber Exam
In order to acquire a MN master plumber license, a registered journeyman plumber will first have meet the following requirements prior to taking the Journeyman Plumber Exam:
- You must have a minimum of five years of practical plumbing experience and one of the following;
- A Current Minnesota Journeyman Plumber License
- A Current Minnesota Restricted Master Plumber License and have had a plumbing code compliance bond on file with the State of Minnesota for a minimum of five years
- A Master Plumber License from another state where the requirements of the licensing jurisdiction are equivalent to those of Minnesota
If you currently have a Master Plumber License from another state where the requirements of the jurisdiction are the same as those of Minnesota, then a copy of current license and a copy of that state’s licensing laws for plumbers must be submitted with the application.
Apply for a MN Plumbing License
An application form for the Minnesota plumbers license exam can be found on the website of The Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry or at the address below:
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
443 Lafayette Road N.
St. Paul, MN 55155
State Licensing and Exams
Licensing and certification requirements for plumbers are usually determined at the state level and tend to vary slightly from state to state. Often, the job of enforcing and regulating these requirements falls to individual municipalities. To check the requirements for a plumbing license in a particular state select your location on the the State License Requirements page.
If you need more informations on passing the journeyman plumbing exams then perhaps you might want to read: How To Do The Plumber Journeyman Exam to help you get started as an apprentice plumber or journeyman plumber.