In the State of Oregon a CCB license is required for anyone who works for compensation in any construction activity involving improvements to real property to be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB). This includes roofing, siding, painting, carpentry, concrete, on-site appliance repair, heating and air conditioning, home inspections, tree service, plumbing, electrical, floor covering, manufactured dwelling installations, land development and most other construction and repair services.
In addition to a CCB license, Plumbers and Plumbing Contractors must get an Oregon Plumbing licensed through the Oregon's Building Codes Division (BCD).
Requirements for a Oregon CCB License
To become a licensed contractor in Oregon:
- Applicants must complete the prerequisite training and pass CCB’s statewide test. This is the person who becomes the Responsible Managing Individual (RMI).
- File your assumed business name, corporation or LLC at the Oregon Corporation Division.
- All applicants must obtain and submit a CCB surety bond in the required amount(s).
- Applicants must obtain and provide proof of general liability insurance in the required amount.
- Applicants must provide evidence of worker’s compensation and other employer account numbers if applicable.
- Applicants must submit a completed CCB application with the $325 fee for two years.
Oregon Journeyman Plumbers License
Inside the State of Oregon a journeyman plumber may perform all plumbing installations, alterations and/or remodels. The journeyman plumber must complete an approved apprenticeship training program or equivalent training/experience and has to pass the State Plumbing Exam.
Oregon Plumbing Contractors License
The holder of a OR Certificate of "registration to conduct a plumbing business" entitles a person to advertise; furnish labor and material, or labor only; to install; change; and repair plumbing. This registration does not entitle the holder to work as a journeyman plumber without a certificate of competence.
How to Apply for an OR License
An application form for the CCB License can be obtained from the CCB Website or at the address below:
Construction Contractors Board
700 Summer St. NE, Suite 300
PO Box 14140
Salem, OR 97309-5052
The application form for a BCD License can be obtained from the Oregon Building Codes Division Website or at the address below:
DCBS - Building Codes Division
PO BOX 14470
Salem, OR 97309 - 0404
State Licensing and Exams
Licensing and certification requirements for plumbers are usually determined at the state level and tend to vary slightly from state to state. Often, the job of enforcing and regulating these requirements falls to individual municipalities. To check the requirements for a plumbing license in a particular state select your location from the State Licensing Requirements page.
If you need more informations on passing the journeyman plumbing exams then perhaps you might want to read: How To Do The Plumber Journeyman Exam to help you get started as an apprentice plumber or journeyman plumber.